1. The term 'material assets' can be wide ranging. Navigation and renewable energy generation are appropriate to consider under a Strategic Environmental Assessment. Others such as effects on commercial fishing activity, oil and gas infrastructure, pipelines, cables, helicopter and ferry routes, radar etc are specifically addressed by the Plan. Natural fish stocks are addressed by the SEA under the context of effects on biodiversity.
2. The full range of additional material assets including commercial fishing activity are addressed by the Plan.
3. Principle adopted by the UN Conference on the Environment and Development (1992) that in order to protect the environment, a precautionary approach should be widely applied, meaning that where there are threats of serious or irreversible damage to the environment, lack of full scientific certainty should not be used as a reason for postponing cost-effective measures to prevent environmental degradation.
4. SEA Consultation Authorities are SNH, SEPA and Historic Scotland
5. These were RSPB, Scottish Renewables, SeaEnergy Renewables Ltd; EDP Renováveis; and RWE npower renewables.
6. OWIG has representatives from a number of the stakeholder groups within its membership including, consultation authorities, developers and The Crown Estate.
7. http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/1057/0080305.pdf Our Seas - A Shared Resource
8. http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/index/about/consultations/closedconsultations.htm Historic Scotland Closed Consultation and Responses
9. http://www.parliament.uk/documents/upload/postpn268.pdf Postnote - Carbon Footprint of Electricity Generation
10. It should be noted that the MCA will ensure that navigation is not significantly affected by particular developments.
11. http://www.opsi.gov.uk/legislation/scotland/acts2009/asp_20090012_en_1 Climate Change (Scotland) Act 2009
13. http://www.decc.gov.uk/en/content/cms/what_we_do/uk_supply/energy_mix/renewable/res/res.aspx Renewable Energy Strategy
14. COM(2009) 475 sets out the Commission's proposal for a European blueprint for the Copenhagen deal.
15. http://ec.europa.eu/energy/technology/set_plan/doc/2009_comm_investing_development_low_carbon_technologies_en.pdf Investing in the Development of Low Carbon Technologies
16. This subject is discussed further in the biodiversity sub-section of the baseline.
17. http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2008/04/03093608/39 Scotland's Seas: Towards Understanding Their State
18. http://www.sepa.org.uk/water/river_basin_planning.aspx River Basin Planning
19. http://188.8.131.52/rbmpRBMP Interactive Map
20. http://www.sepa.org.uk/water/river_basin_planning.aspx - Scotland River Basin Management Plan and Solway Tweed River Basin Management Plan
21. www.snh.gov.uk/docs/A306281.pdf Natural Heritage Futures - Coasts and Seas
22. http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/hazard/Hazard_UK.htm Seismicity and Earthquake Hazard in the UK (accessed 19/02/2010)
23. http://www.ukbap.org.uk/ukplans.aspxID=335 UKBAP - Grouped Species Action Plan
24. http://www.jncc.gov.uk/ProtectedSites/SACselection/species.asp?FeatureIntCode=S1355JNCC - Vertebrate Species (accessed on 19/2/2010)
25. http://www.jncc.gov.uk/page-3589JNCC Mammals (accessed on 19/2/2010)
26. The EU Birds Directive places great emphasis on the protection of habitats for endangered as well as migratory species that are listed in Annex I.
27. The Convention uses a broad definition of wetland types. In the UK this includes lakes and rivers, marshes, wet grasslands and peatlands, estuaries, tidal flats, near-shore marine areas, and human-made sites such as reservoirs.
28. http://www.birdlife.org/eu/EU_policy/Birds_Habitats_Directives/Birds_Directive_SPA.html accessed on 30/4/2010 Birds Directive - Safeguarding Special Protection Areas for Europe's birds.
29. Mitchell, I.P., Newton, S.F., Ratcliffe, N. & Dunn, T.E. (2004). Seabird populations of Britain and Ireland. London: T. & A.D. Poyser.
30. http://www.snh.org.uk/trends/trends_notes/pdf/Marine%20species/Breeding%20seabirds%201970-2000.pdf accessed on 30/4/2010. Information Natural Heritage Trends
31. Email correspondence with Halcrow, 9/3/2010, 12/3/2010.
32. http://www.microwavetelemetry.com/newsletters/spring09page5.pdf accessed on 28/4/2010. Migration Routes of Birds in Relation to Current and Proposed UK Wind Farm Sites
33. http://www.wwt.org.uk/research/tracking/maps.asp accessed on 28/4/2010. Svalbard Barnable Goose Tracking Map 2009
34. http://www.jncc.gov.uk/page-4193 accessed on 29/4/2010.
35. www.snh.org.uk/futures/Data/pdfdocs/Coasts_and_Seas.pdf Natural Heritage Futures - Coasts and Seas, SNH (2008)
36. http://scottishfossilcode.com/pdfs/strategy/cmnp/Finalreport_19_September_2006.pdf - A Review of Marine and Coastal Recreation in Scotland
37. In the study 'coast' was defined as the coastline, sea lochs, estuaries, islands and sea areas.
38. http://adventure.visitscotland.com/adventure-search/water/surfing Surfing in Scotland
39. http://jura.rcahms.gov.uk/PASTMAP/info.jsp?dataSet=Scheduled%20Ancient%20Monuments Information on Scheduled Monuments.
40. Section 1 of the Protection of Wrecks Act 1973 is to be repealed in due course in Scotland with the existing designated wrecks eligible for a process of transition to the new Historic Marine Protected Area designation under the Marine (Scotland) Act 2010.
41. It will continue to be possible to schedule monuments out to 12 nautical miles although, in practice, the Marine Protected Area provisions will normally be preferred offshore.
43. dwt is a measure of how much weight a ship is carrying or can safely carry
44. Note: In developing the medium to long term plans, shipping density data has been used in the MaRS mapping process. The zones of least constraint identified by this process are subsequently checked against these AIS data as part of the testing of zones against SEA objectives.
45. A term of international law referring to a ship or aircraft's right to enter and pass through another's territory so long as it is not prejudicial to the peace, good order or security of the other state.
46. Safer Ships, Cleaner Seas, London: HMSO, 1994. Cm 2560. ISBN 01-125602-7.
47. http://www.dorsetforyou.com/media/pdf/f/g/MEHRA's_.pdf accessed on 30/4/2010.
48. http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2008/04/03093608/0 Scotland's Seas: Towards Understanding Their State
49. http://www.mba.ac.uk/marclim/index.php?sec=conc MarClim-Marine Biodiversity and Climate Change
50. http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~wfcon470/Perry%20et%20al%2005.pdf Climate Change and Distribution Shifts in Marine Fishes
51. http://oceanacidification.wordpress.com/2009/11/30/vulnerability-of-marine-biodiversity-to-ocean-acidification-a-meta-analysisEPOCA - Marine Acidification
52. http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/wildlife/protect/whales/documents/protecting-whales.pdf Protecting Whales - a Global Responsbility
53. http://www.ukbap.org.uk/UKPlans.aspx?ID=337UKBAP Grouped Species Action Plans http://www.cms.int/publications/pdf/CMS_CimateChange.pdf Migratory Species and Climate Change
54. http://scienceandresearch.homeoffice.gov.uk/animal-research/publications-and-reference/001-abstracts/abstractsfrom2009/636181 Home Office Publications and Reference List
55. http://www.visitscotland.org/research_and_statistics/trends__forecasts/growth__niche_markets.aspx Visit Scotland - Research and Statistics, accessed on 2nd March 2010
56. http://www.visitscotland.org/about_us/our_focus/sustainable_tourism.aspx Visit Scotland - Sustainable Tourism statement, accessed on 2nd March 2010.
57. http://www.snh.org.uk/publications/on-line/advisorynotes/144/144.htm Natural Heritage Trends - Access and Recreation, accessed on 8th April 2010
58. http://www.jncc.gov.uk/page-1612JNCC - UK Regional Seas
59. http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/flooding/documents/risk/tsunami05.pdf The Threat Posed by Tsunami to the UK
60. The Crown Estate kindly provided access to the MaRS data and facilitated the interrogation. Please note that the mapping and interpretation has been undertaken by Halcrow and The Crown Estate accepts no liability for these findings.
61. Including details of specific possible development sites where known