Moving Forward in Kinship and Foster Care
9. THE VISION FOR KINSHIP CARE
The Reference Group also developed a vision for kinship care.
The key elements are listed below:
- The wider family will be involved whenever a child needs to leave their birth parents.
- Family meetings should be part of the planning process for a child.
- Placement in the wider family should be the first option if safe and in the best interests of the child.
- Retaining a sense of family, identity and heritage helps a child to feel valued.
- Kinship families will have access to adequate universal benefits and support and not be reliant on the child having a statutory legal relationship with a local authority.
- Kinship carers will be able to access specialist services where the needs of the child require that.
- Kinship carers will be able to develop their skills and understanding about child development and loss.
- Any assessment of kinship carers starts from the child's plan and considers what supports the carers will need to ensure the child's well being.
Page updated: Friday, February 27, 2009