These tables include comparisons for Q3 in 1999 and 2008 to 2014 only. A complete time series, including all quarters back to Q1 1999 is provided in the excel spreadsheets published at the public sector employment web section http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Labour-Market/PublicSectorEmployment
Table 1: Number of people employed by public and private sector; Scotland, Headcount
Not Seasonally Adjusted
|Total Employment6||Private Sector2||Public Sector||Estimated Private Sector including major reclassifications3, 4, 6||Estimated Public Sector excluding major reclassifications3, 5, 6|
|Level||Level||Percentage of total employment||Level||Percentage of total employment||Level||Percentage of total employment||Level||Percentage of total employment|
|Change on year to:|
|Q4 2014||34,500||58,600||1.2 p.p.||-24,100||-1.2 p.p.||36,000||0.3 p.p.||-1,000||-0.3 p.p.|
|% change on year:|
p.p. - percentage points
r - Revision to figures due to reclassifications
1. Figures have been rounded to the nearest hundred, unless otherwise stated.
2. Private sector is derived as the difference between the Labour Force Survey 'Total employment' workforce based estimate for the whole of Scotland (not seasonally adjusted) and the public sector estimate (derived from individual organisation statistical returns).
3. Major reclassifications include: Royal Bank of Scotland plc, Lloyds Banking Group plc, Northern Rock plc, Lloyds TSB Commercial Finance, Lloyds Bank Asset Finance, Scottish Widows, Direct Line, Royal Mail Group plc, Post Office Ltd and Network Rail.
4. Private sector including major reclassifications includes the figures for the above organisations in the private sector series when they were part of the public sector.
5. Public sector excluding major reclassifications excludes the figures for the above organisations from the public sector series when they were part of the public sector.
6. Figures are rounded to the nearest thousand.
7. Detailed tables showing a full time series of data - all quarters back to Q1 1999 - are available to download from the Public Sector Employment
Email: Claire Gordon