Priority Areas for Medium and Longer-term Consideration/Action
- The urgent need to assess the crime and disorder implications of a severe recession and the resources available to the police to manage this post-COVID-19, when demands on policing resume
- The real test for the policing of the pandemic is likely to be in the months to come as restrictions are eased.
- Identify the role of the police in the second phase of the lockdown
- Clarify differences between legislation, regulation and simple guidelines
- Prioritise democracy and human rights when de-escalating emergency measures and police surveillance
- Clarify how emergency powers and temporary limitation of rights are going to be phased out once COVID-19 is under control
- Policing the coronavirus regulations must not come at a cost to assisting victims of crime, especially victims of domestic abuse