- 15 Mar 2019
Attendees and apologies
- John Burns, NHS Ayrshire and Arran
- Jeff Ace (Chair), NHS Dumfries and Galloway
- Paul Hawkins, NHS Fife
- Graham Foster, NHS Forth Valley, Director of Public Health and Strategic Planning
- Amanda Croft, NHS Grampian, Interim Chief Executive
- Jane Grant, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
- Gregor Smith, NHS Highland, Interim Chief Executive
- Calum Campbell, NHS Lanarkshire
- Tim Davison, NHS Lothian
- Julie Nicol, NHS Orkney, Head of OD and Learning (by VC)
- Ralph Roberts, NHS Shetland (by VC)
- Malcolm Wright, NHS Tayside
- June Rogers, Golden Jubilee Foundation, Deputy Chief Executive
- Robbie Pearson, Healthcare Improvement Scotland
- Angiolina Foster, NHS 24
- Caroline Lamb, NHS Education for Scotland
- Gerry McLaughlin, NHS Health Scotland
- Colin Sinclair, NHS National Services Scotland
- Pauline Howie, Scottish Ambulance Service
- Jim Crichton, State Hospital
- Paul Gray, DG Health and Social Care and Chief Executive NHS Scotland
- Shirley Rogers, Director of Health Workforce, Leadership and Service Transformation
- Jason Leitch, National Clinical Director, Health Quality and Strategy
- Andrew Scott, Director of Population Health
- Donna Bell, Director for Mental Health
- Rose Marie Parr, Chief Pharmaceutical Officer
- Jamie MacDougall, Deputy Director, Care, Support and Rights Division
- Alison Taylor, Head of Integration Division
- Colin Brown, Office of the Chief Executive NHS Scotland
- Sue McLintock, Carer Scotland, Agenda Item 2
- Lindsey Henderson, SG Carers Branch, Agenda Item 2
- James How, EU Withdrawal, Agenda Item 6
- Jane Hamilton, EU Withdrawal, Agenda Item 6
- Shuna Mayes, Health Resilience, Agenda Item 6
- Jane Davidson, NHS Borders
- Cathie Cowan, NHS Forth Valley
- Gerry O’Brien, NHS Orkney
- Gordon Jamieson, NHS Western Isles
- Alex McMahon, Chair of SEND
- Alex Joyce, NHS Lothian, Agenda Item 2
- Christine McLaughlin, Director of Health Finance, Corporate Governance and Value
- Catherine Calderwood, Chief Medical Officer
- Michael Chalmers, Director of Children and Families
- Richard McCallum, Deputy Director of Health Finance
- Tom Ferris, Chief Dental Officer, Interim
- Leslie Henderson, Senior Internal Audit Manager, Observer
- Crystal Power, SG Internal Audit Manager
- Darragh Hamilton, Scottish Clinical Leadership Fellow
- Thomas Lamont, Scottish Clinical Leadership Fellow
- Alison Wright, Scottish Clinical Leadership Fellow
- Jack Fairweather, Scottish Clinical Leadership Fellow
- Pauline McMillan, Business Manager, Directorate of Health Workforce, Leadership and Service Transformation
- Laurie Whyte, Office of the Chief Executive NHS Scotland
- Sarah Hildersley, Office of the Chief Executive NHS Scotland
- David Bedwell, Executive Support for Chief Executives
- Chris Campbell, Executive Support for Chief Executives
Items and actions
Welcome, apologies for absence and attendees
1. Paul Gray, Director General Health and Social Care/Chief Executive NHS Scotland welcomed everyone to the meeting. A list of attendees and apologies for absence are provided at Annex A.
2. Paul Gray congratulated Grant Archibald on his appointment as Chief Executive, NHS Tayside and thanked Gregor Smith for taking on the role of Interim Chief Executive in NHS Highland.
3. He also confirmed that Jann Gardner has been appointed as Chief Executive to the Golden Jubilee Foundation, taking up post on 21 January and Iain Stewart has been appointed as Chief Executive to NHS Highland, taking up post on 28 January.
4. He welcomed Malcolm Wright to the meeting as incoming Interim DG/Chief Executive as of 18 February and John Connaghan who has returned to Co-Chair the Operational Performance Board with Jill Young.
Carer positive: NHSCE/18/19/09
5. Sue McLintock from Carer Scotland led a presentation which gave an overview of Carer Positive. This included information on current NHS participation and examples of good practice.
6. Tim Davison, Chief Executive of NHS Lothian who have achieved Exemplary Carer Positive status shared some of the initiatives that NHS Lothian used in Alex Joyce’s absence. Examples included video messages, posters and e-Learning.
7. Chief Executives were invited to sign up (www.carerpositive.org), champion Carer Positive and lead by example in their NHS Boards by embracing and strengthening a carer-friendly culture in the workplace. Further information and support in the application process can be obtained from Sue McClintock (firstname.lastname@example.org; 0141 445 3070).
Minutes of the previous meeting
8. The minutes of the meeting held on 14 November 2018 were approved.
9. Matters arising included:
- an update on clinical waste
- operational performance board
- quality improvement toolkit
Feedback from the Chief Executives' private/strategy meeting
10. Jeff Ace, Chair of the NHS Chief Executives Group gave an update on the discussions from the private/strategy meeting, including:
- annual review process
EU withdrawal: NHSCE/18/19/10
11. Shirley Rogers, Director of Health Workforce, Leadership and Service Transformation introduced the item and gave a brief update to Chief Executives.
12. Jane Hamilton and James How, EU Withdrawal colleagues provided further information in relation to sharing intelligence; procurement; communications; transport; medicines and risks.
13. Shuna Mayes from Health Resilience spoke to Chief Executives about the upcoming workshops taking place in Edinburgh on 28 January, Stirling on 5 February and Glasgow on 8 February.
14. Performance was discussed by Chief Executives at their private meeting.
Any other business
15. Jason Leitch reminded colleagues about Glasgow 2019. He advised that a 25% discount per Scottish delegate had been agreed and that the early bird deadline closes in a couple of weeks.
16. Colleagues thanked Paul Gray for the last 5 years in his role as Director General and Chief Executive NHS Scotland and wished him all the best for the future.
Date and time of next meeting
17. The next NHS Chief Executives Business Meeting will take place on 13 March 2019 at 13:00, in the Fettes Suite, Scottish Health Service Centre, Edinburgh EH4 2LF.
Office of the Chief Executive for NHS Scotland
17 January 2019
An update from St Andrew’s House (NHSCE/18/19/11) was circulated to Chief Executives in advance of the meeting for information.
Email: Corporate Business Management Team email@example.com