Introduction and Notes on Structure
This review was led by Nora Senior (Chair, Enterprise and Skills Strategic Board) and initiated to understand the activities of each ILG, their key outputs and how they can increase their impact. The review aimed to deliver:
- an agreed set of principles setting the context for ILGs moving forward.
- a consistent and coherent strategic framework for the government's approach to support for established and emerging sectors or industries.
- the respective leadership roles for government and ILGs and their members.
Existing ILGs include:
- Aerospace, Defence, Marine and Space
- Creative Industries
- Financial Services
- Life Sciences
- Food and Drink
- Chemical Sciences
- Scotland for Employee Ownership
The main sources of evidence were interviews with representatives of the Industry Leadership Groups, information submitted from government and agency officials, and analysis undertaken by the Enterprise and Skills Analytical Unit.
Following the evidence gathering and consultation phase, this report identifies four key themes: governance; achievements and measurement; communication and engagement; and opportunity. The conclusions of these themes are broadly applicable to current ILGs, groups which are being established now, the Government's approach to sectoral engagement in future, and the ambition and expectations of ILGs.