- 5 Oct 2020
Date received: 3 Sep 2020
Date responded: 1 Oct 2020
1. The total number of focus groups and polls that have been conducted by the Scottish Government (or by an agency on behalf of the Scottish Government) to measure public opinion on the matter of the COVID-19 pandemic.
2. The total cost of these focus groups and polls.
I would like this information from 01 June 2020 to 02 September 2020.
Since the onset of the pandemic, we have commissioned multiple waves of surveys and qualitative research to understand and measure public opinions and perceptions of COVID-19, support public health messaging and assess compliance with public health guidance. These activities were conducted by research agencies.
The following work was conducted during the specified period:
1. Six waves of the Ipsos Mori Global Tracker. Wave 16 (5-8 June) to wave 21 (10-13 July). Waves 16-7
2. Fourteen waves of YouGov marketing and insight poll. Wave 11 (2-3 June) to wave 24 (1-2 September)
3. Five waves of the Transport Scotland Covid-19 Public Attitudes Survey
4. Two waves of a Scotland sample-boost to a Department for Transport longitudinal survey.
5. A wave of a Scotland sample-boost to an Institute for Transport longitudinal survey.
6. A module on questions in an omnibus survey exploring the impact of Covid on energy consumers
7. Public attitudes polling on attitudes towards voting in Scotland in the context of COVID-19
The total cost of these activities was £136,190 excluding VAT. Please note that items 5 and 6 took place within contracts of a longer duration, and the cost has been estimated based on the work that took place within the specified dates.
More information about the public attitudes data can be found at
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House