Publication - Minutes

Additional Support for Learning Implementation Group minutes: October 2019

Published: 26 Jun 2020
Directorate:
Learning Directorate
Part of:
Education
Date of meeting: 31 Oct 2019
Location: Victoria Quay, Edinburgh

Minutes of the meeting of the Additional Support for Learning Implementation Group minutes, held on 31 October 2019.

Published:
26 Jun 2020
Additional Support for Learning Implementation Group minutes: October 2019

Attendees and apologies

Attendees

  • Jan Savage, Enable (Chair)
  • Lynne Binnie , Association of Scottish Principle Educational Psychologists
  • Andrea Bradley, Education Institute Scotland
  • Cheryl Burnett, National Parent Forum Scotland
  • Mary Berrill, Education Scotland
  • Sally Cavers, Children in Scotland
  • Sylvia Haughney, UNISON
  • Jennifer King, Association of Directors of Education
  • Angela Morgan, Chair ASL Review
  • John Urquhart, COSLA
  • Mel Lowe, Scottish Government
  • Deborah Lynch, Scottish Government
  • Kevin Barr, Scottish Government (Secretariat)

Apologies

  • Nicola Dickie, COSLA

Items and actions

Welcome and Apologies

Jan welcomed members and thanked them for attending. Jan thanked members for agreeing to be part of the group, which has a renewed focus on implementation.

Jan welcomed Angela Morgan,  the Independent Chair of The Additional Support for Learning Review. It was noted that the group were looking forward to assisting in the implementation of any recommendations arising from the review.  

Apologies were given for Nicola Dickie, however John Urquhart was attending the meeting on her behalf. Jan congratulated Andrea on her new post, and as the new EIS rep.

Jan acknowledged that the meeting was due to run on 9 September, and apologised for rearranging.

Role and Remit

Jan invited members for comments on the draft role and remit which had been circulated prior to the meeting.

Key discussion points:

  1. Group discussed the difference between ‘embedding’ and ‘implementing’, given the length of time that the ASL Act has been in place.
  2. The requirement to evidence the impact of the new ASLIG group
  3. Replacing ‘implementation’ with ‘delivery’ of the Additional Support for Learning Act.
  4. Include a reason for the chosen membership of the group in either the terms of reference, or role and remit.
  5. Need to clarify the strategic purpose of the group.

Action 1 – Secretariat to amend the Role and Remit and recirculate

Action 2 – Review the terms of reference in 12 months.

Terms of Reference

Jan invited colleagues to provide comments on the draft Terms of Reference which had been issued prior to the meeting.

Key discussion points:

  1. Include an “expectation of membership” e.g. ‘for members to bring the views of the organisations that they represent, and to send alternative representatives if they are unable to attend meetings’.
  2. Session to be arranged exploring the transition from the operational AGASL meeting to the more strategic ASLIG meeting. This should take place in January with a facilitator.
  3. ‘Ex-AGASL members’ to be replaced with ‘interested stakeholders’. Potentially creating a name for formal AGASL members as they should be given due recognition for their work.
  4. Members agreed to allow new NPFS members to the occasional ASLIG meeting.

Action 3 – Secretariat to amend terms of reference and recirculate

Action 4 – Secretariat to arrange January session with facilitator to explore the groups new strategic role.

ASL Review

Jan invited Angela Morgan to provide an update on the ASL Review.

Key discussion points:

  1. Angela provided an overview of the review
  2. Angela advised that the although the review is not a scientific piece of research, it will be honest and draw out key themes.
  3. Deborah Lynch provided an overview of the different stakeholders Angela had met during the review.
  4. December date should be organised for the group to meet again with Angela to explore outcomes and data.
  5. Members agreed that the findings of the review provided them with comfort and clarity about areas where there are issues with delivery of ASL, and clear next steps.

Jan thanked Angela for the update.

Physical Intervention & Seclusion

Jan invited Mel to provide an update on physical intervention and seclusion.

Key discussion points:

Scottish Government have met with the Children’s Commissioners Office and the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) to discuss physical intervention.  A judicial review, against Ministers about our current physical intervention guidance, has been lodged, and has been sisted (paused) until 21 November.

Children’s Commissioners Office and the EHRC has written a letter to the Scottish Government with 5 asks. The Deputy First Minister has agreed in principle to consider these.

SAGRABIS will meet shortly to discuss the issues raised, and this may alter the Scottish Government’s position. Following this meeting, Mel will write to ASLIG to clarify the position.

ASLIG should meet to discuss the outcome and revisit the AGASL workplan for any potential work that could be carried forward.

Action 5 – Mel to write to AGASL following SAGRABIS meeting to clarify the position in relation to physical intervention and seclusion.

Action 6 – As part of the December meeting Mel will provide a brief update on the  physical intervention and seclusion work.

Action  7 - ASLIG will need to revisit AGASL workplan.

Programme for Government

Jan invited Mel to provide an update on the Scottish Government’s Programme for Government Commitment.

Main discussion points:

  1. Draft aims and principles for the commitment had been drawn up with COSLA colleagues, however negotiations are ongoing.

Action 8 – Mel to ensure that any information issued about the PfG commitment is sent to ASLIG, along with providing an update on this at the December meeting.

Frequency of Meetings

Jan advised that meetings would be held every 3 months, and members were in agreement that these should be alternated between Edinburgh and Glasgow.

It was also agreed that the March meeting should include Angela Morgan to allow members to discuss the recommendations from the ASL review.

Action 9 – Angela Morgan to attend ASLIG meeting in March to discuss the recommendations of the review.

AOB

Key discussion points:

  1. ASLIG should provide something to the Scottish Education Council following recommendations from the ASL review.
  2. Group should focus on a communication plan in January to gain public buy-in.
  3. Newsletter should be created to inform people of the journey from AGASL to ASLIG, what is the history and what has happened since to get the group in their new position.

Action 10 – Group to focus on comms plan in January meeting.

Action 11 – Secretariat to produce newsletter about the transition from AGASL to ASLIG.

Jan thanked members and brought the meeting to a close.

Additional Support for Learning Implementation Group – Actions

1 – Secretariat to amend the Role and Remit and recirculate

2 – Review the terms of reference in 12 months.

3 – Secretariat to amend terms of reference and recirculate

4 – Secretariat to arrange January session with facilitator to explore the transition from operational to strategic.

5– Mel to write to AGASL following SAGRABIS meeting to clarify the position in relation to physical intervention and seclusion.

6 – December meeting to be arranged to discuss the outcome of the physical intervention and seclusion work, and to revisit AGASL workplan

7 – ASLIG will need to revisit AGASL workplan.

8 – Mel to ensure that any information issued about the PfG commitment is sent to ASLIG, along with providing an update on this at the December meeting.

9 - Angela Morgan to attend ASLIG meeting in March to discuss the recommendations of the review.

10 – Group to focus on comms plan in January meeting.

11 – Secretariat to produce newsletter about the transition from AGASL to ASLIG.