Publication - Minutes

Additional Support for Learning Implementation Group minutes: January 2019

Published: 26 Jun 2020
Directorate:
Learning Directorate
Part of:
Education
Date of meeting: 28 Jan 2019
Location: Atlantic Quay, Glasgow

Minutes of the meeting of the Additional Support for Learning Implementation Group minutes, held on 28 January 2019.

Published:
26 Jun 2020
Additional Support for Learning Implementation Group minutes: January 2019

Attendees and apologies

Attendees

  • Jan Savage, Enable Scotland (Chair)
  • Jennifer King, ADES
  • Lynne Binnie, ASPEP
  • Sylvia Haughney, UNISON
  • John Urquhart, COSLA
  • Laura-Ann Currie, Education Scotland
  • Cheryl Burnett, NPFS
  • Andrea Bradley, EIS
  • Mel Lowe, Scottish Government
  • Deborah Lynch, Scottish Government
  • Stefania Oikonomou, Scottish Government
  • Kevin Barr, Scottish Government (Secretariat)

Apologies

  • Sally Cavers, Children in Scotland
  • Nicola Dickie, COSLA
  • Mary Berrill, Education Scotland

Items and actions

Welcome and Apologies

Jan Savage welcomed members to the meeting and thanked them for attending.

It was noted that Mary Berrill would soon be retiring and would not attend another ASLIG meeting. The group thanked Mary for her contribution over her time in post.  

It was noted that an external facilitator was due to come in to lead a session on strategy with the group, however due to costs this was not possible. The facilitated session would now take place on 17th February and be led by Sam Anson, Deputy Director, Learning Directorate and Laura Meikle, Unit Head, Supporting Learners Team. A calendar invite has already been sent.

Jan provided an overview of the agenda items and advised that 2 papers from Lynne and Jennifer would be tabled at the meeting. These were distributed.

The minutes and actions from the previous meeting were signed off with no further amendments.

An update was provided against each action. Kevin had previously been asked to draft an ASLIG newsletter and bring to the group. He asked that members send suggestions for structure and content.

Action – Kevin to ask for suggestions on structure and style of newsletter with returns by 10 February.  

Action – Draft ASLIG newsletter to be brought to facilitated session on 17th February.

Action – Draft comms plan to be brought to session on 17th February

1. Role and Remit

Members discussed the role and remit of the group.

The group also discussed the possibility to co-opt a colleague from health, and it was agreed that this should be done on an ad-hoc basis. It was suggested that connections with adult health and social care partnerships may be beneficial.

Action – Secretariat to approach adult health and social care colleague regarding joining the group.

Action – Secretariat to circulate annotated copy of role and remit.

2. Terms of Reference

Members discussed the terms of reference and the group agreed for the same amendments to be made on the terms of reference.

Action – Secretariat to circulate annotated copy of terms of reference.

3. Update on physical intervention & seclusion

Jan invited Mel to provide an update in regards to physical intervention and seclusion:

  • Judicial review has been withdrawn
  • A new group has been established to look into the guidance, however the group will still link into SAGRABIS and ASLIG.
  • Draft guidance to be complete by October 2020, and will go for consultation in December before being published in January 2021.
  • Group were in agreement that this was a positive piece of work looking at all children and young people.

Action – Mel to circulate terms of reference of physical intervention and seclusion group.  

Jan advised that although this was previously on AGASL’s workplan, it is welcome that another group is taking the work forward. ASLIG will remain a reference group moving forward.

4. Data collection

Deborah provided an overview of Angela Morgan’s recommendation in relation to data collection.

2 papers were tabled at the meeting which looked into data collection within both Dundee and East Lothian. Jennifer and Lynne were both invited to discuss their papers.

Jan advised that the group have an opportunity to make a recommendation to the Scottish Education Council, along with having a mandate from Angela. The group now have a solid foundation based on the 2 papers on data collection, and need to focus on what will be taken forward.

Some key questions were posed to the group:

  • What data do we have? A lot of data is available, but not being used.  
  • What should the group do about data that is not used?
  • What recommendation can ASLIG take forward? Could we take the 2 reports and pilot these?
  • What have we not got? What are the gaps?
  • How do we fill the gaps?
  • So what? Who’s going to collect data, for what purpose and who will analyse?.
  • How do we make this systematic?

Jan advised that a speedy set of recommendations to the SEC should be drafted.  Mel noted they are going to SEC in February to discuss the ASL review recommendations. The final report will be published in April. Group agreed that a prompt response to the review recommendations was key.

It was advised that the review recommendations have to go to DFM and Cllr McCabe prior to being given to ASLIG. The SEC will also be given high level themes at the February meeting.

Group agreed that a further discussion regarding parental expectations may be key. Other achievements may not be celebrated as much, such as apprenticeships and the group agreed that a culture shift is required.

Action – Agenda item to be included in February meeting on ‘changing the narrative’

Action – Mel to inform SEC that changing the narrative is a focus area for the group.

The group were in agreement that the curriculum must also focus on the wider groups. As well as focussing less on the final assessments, more emphasis should be placed on skills for life.

The challenge for ASLIG now is to define what the national data set is, along with the design of the report.

Mel advised that Laura-Ann would be able to recommend someone to support this as there are already people undertaking this work.

Action – Laura-Ann to suggest colleague to support with data collection work.

Action – SG to work with Jan, Jennifer and Lynne to draft SEC recommendations paper. This should be finalised in February.

Action – Members to think of a framework for what the report should look like prior to April meeting.

Action - Jennifer to contact ADES ASN network about suggestions for data collection.

The group also agreed that teacher voice and role of the volunteer could be included in this.

Action – SG to send SEC recommendations paper.

5. Date of next meeting

It was advised that the facilitated session would take place on 17 February in Victoria Quay and would be a full day session.  

Action – Secretariat to issue meeting dates for the remainder of the year.

Action – Secretariat to issue SEC meeting dates.

Action – Mel to send information on recommendations to ASLIG before the April meeting. 

6. AOB

The group discussed ASL assistants, and the value of this resource. It was suggested that this be an element of data that the group include as part of their reporting. There were concerns regarding the consistency of this, due to the issues with data collection for support staff.

Action – Data collection on ASL assistants/support staff to be added to April agenda.

Jan thanked members for attending and brought the meeting

Actions

1 – Kevin to ask for suggestions on structure and style of newsletter with returns by 10 February. 

2 – Draft ASLIG newsletter to be brought to facilitated session on 17th February.

3 – Draft comms plan to be brought to session on 17th February

4 – Secretariat to approach adult health and social care colleague regarding joining the group.

5 – Secretariat to circulate annotated copy of role and remit.

6 – Secretariat to circulate annotated copy of terms of reference.

7 – Mel to circulate terms of reference of physical intervention and seclusion group. 

8 – Agenda item to be included in February meeting on ‘changing the narrative’

9 – Mel to inform SEC that changing the narrative is a focus area for the group.

10 – Laura-Ann to suggest colleague to support with data collection work.

11 – Secretariat to work with Jan, Jennifer and Lynne to draft SEC recommendations paper. This should be finalised in February.

12 – Members to think of a framework for what the report should look like prior to April meeting.

13 - Jennifer to contact ADES ASN network about suggestions for data collection.

14 – SG to send SEC recommendations paper.

15 – Secretariat to issue meeting dates for the remainder of the year.

16 – Secretariat to issue SEC meeting dates.

17 – Mel to send information on recommendations to ASLIG before the April meeting. 

18 – Data collection on ASL assistants/support staff to be added to April agenda.