Telephone: +44 (0)131 244 2905
Address: Marine Scotland, Marine Laboratory, 375 Victoria Road, Aberdeen, AB11 9DB, Scotland, UK
My current research is concerned with assessing and managing the impacts of marine renewables (wind, wave and tidal energy) on the marine and freshwater environments, and providing advice on the impacts of the oil and gas industries on the sea. My ultimate objective is to contribute to the evidence base that will ensure that energy-related activities are pursued in a sustainable manner, balancing development objectives with impacts on marine and freshwater ecosystems.
I collaborate with scientists across the UK and Europe, and have growing links with North America. The main research links are related to renewable energy, while advisory activities cover broader areas of OSPAR and ICES remits, and the implications of EU Directives for energy projects and plans. I have collaborations with several universities in Scotland through joint studentships (MSc and PhD) close collaborations with the University of Aberdeen, where I am an honorary Senior Lecturer, and actively support the MarCRF initiative to develop marine science in Aberdeen.
External Committees and Responsibilities
I am a member of various Scottish and UK groups related to marine renewables, including the prioritisation of research needs and joint funding initiatives through ORJIP and NERC. I provide advice to both the Scottish and UK Governments and internationally through membership of ICES Working Groups on renewable energy.
Most Recent Publications
- Cormier, R., Kannen, A., Davies, I.M., Sardá, R., and Diedrich, A., 2013. Policy fragmentation implications in ecosystem-based management in practice. In: Integrated coastal-zone risk management, Cormier, R., Davies, I.M,, and Kannen, A. (Eds). ICES Cooperative Research Report 320, pp 37-44.
- Kyari Yates, Pat Pollard, Ian Davies, Lynda Webster, and Colin Moffat, 2013. Silicone rubber passive samplers for measuring pore water and exchangeable concentrations of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons concentrations in sediments. Sci. Total Environ. 463-464, 988-996.
- McKie, J.C. and Davies, I.M, 2013. Institutional and regulatory reform to contribute to the achievement of development objectives in the marine environment. In: Integrated coastal-zone risk management, Cormier, R., Davies, I.M,, and Kannen, A. (Eds). ICES Cooperative Research Report 320, pp 18-26
- Ian M. Davies and David Pratt, 2014. Strategic Sectoral Planning for Offshore Renewable Energy in Scotland. In: Marine Renewable Energy Technology and Environmental Interactions. Mark A. Shields and Andrew I.L. Payne, eds. Springer, Dordrecht, pp 141-152.
- Williams, T.D., Ian M. Davies, Huifeng Wu, Amer M. Diab, Lynda Webster, Mark R. Viant, J. Kevin Chipman, Michael J. Leaver, Stephen G. George, Colin F. Moffat, Craig D. Robinson, 2014. Molecular responses of European flounder (Platichthys flesus) chronically exposed to contaminated estuarine sediments. Chemosphere, 108, 152-158.