Telephone: +44 (0)131 244 3798
Address: Marine Scotland, Marine Laboratory, 375 Victoria Road, Aberdeen, AB11 9DB, Scotland, UK
My current research is mainly concerned with contaminant and their effects, chlorophyll and other phytoplankton pigments, ocean acidification (carbonate chemistry) and marine litter, including microplastics. I am responsible for reporting and assessing the environmental concentrations and their trends of contaminants in Scottish marine waters and oversee the submission of MSS’s contaminants, effects and nutrient data to the UK Marine Environment Monitoring and Assessment National database (MERMAN).
I collaborate with scientists across the UK and Europe, notably those from other UK Competent Monitoring Authorities and those working through Expert Groups of the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES). I have close collaborations with the Robert Gordon University and the University of Aberdeen and have co-supervised MSc and PhD students.
External Committees and Responsibilities
I am Chair of the Scottish Clean and Safe Seas Coordination Group and a member of The ICES Marine Chemistry Working Group.
Most Recent Publications
- Smith, A. F., Fryer, R. J., Webster, L., Berx, B. Taylor, A., Walsham, P. and Turrell, W. R., 2014, Setting background nutrient levels for coastal waters with oceanic influences, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 145, 69 -79.
- Méndez-Fernandez, P., Webster, L., Chouvelon, T., Bustamante, P., Ferreira, M., González, A. F., López, A., Moffat, C. F., Pierce, G. J., Read, F. L., Russell, M., Santos, M. B., Spitz, J. Vingada, J. V. and Caurant, F. (2014). An assessment of contaminant concentrations in toothed whale species of the NW Iberian Peninsula: Part I. Persistent organic pollutants, Science of the Total Environment, 484, 196 – 205.
- Méndez-Fernandez, P., Webster, L., Chouvelon, T., Bustamante, P., Ferreira, M., González, A. F., López, A., Moffat, C. F., Pierce, G. J., Read, F. L., Russell, M., Santos, M. B., Spitz, J. Vingada, J. V. and Caurant, F (2014). An assessment of contaminant concentrations in toothed whale species of the NW Iberian Peninsula: Part II. Trace element concentrations, Science of the Total Environment , 484, 206 -217.
- Emelogu, E.S., P. Pollard, P. Dymond, C Robinson, L. Webster, C. McKenzie, J. Dobson, E Bresnan, and C. Moffat. (2014). Occurrence and potential combined toxicity of dissolved organic contaminants in the Forth estuary and Firth of Forth Scotland assessed using passive samplers and an algal toxicity test. Science of the Total Environment, 461-462, 230-239.
- Emelogu, E.S., T.-B. Seiler, P. Pollard, C.D. Robinson, L. Webster, C. McKenzie, S. Heger, H. Hollert, E. Bresnan, J. Best, and C.F. Moffat. (2014). Evaluations of combined zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryo and marine phytoplankton (Diacronema lutheri) toxicity of dissolved organic contaminants in the Ythan catchment, Scotland, UK. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 21(8), 5537-5546.