Telephone: +44 (0)131 244 2733
Address: Marine Scotland Science, Marine Laboratory, 375 Victoria Road, Aberdeen, AB11 9DB
I work in the Inshore Ecosystems group and my current research is mainly concerned with the stock assessments for Nephrops norvegicus and Pecten maximus. I also take responsibility for the maintenance and development of the inshore survey databases and respond to internal and external data queries.
I collaborate with scientists across the UK, Europe and North America, notably those involved in the ICES WGCSE and WGScallop. I am a STEM ambassador and member of ScienceGrrl and actively support initiatives to encourage marine science in Aberdeen.
External Committees and Responsibilities
I have participated in a number of ICES assessment Working Groups and Study Groups and am responsible for collating the required information for official data calls for shellfish species. I provide advice to both the Scottish and UK governments in support of policy changes with regard to shellfish.
- O’Neill, F G, R J Kynoch, L Blackadder, R J Fryer, A R Eryaşar, E Notti, and A Sala. 2016. The influence of twine tenacity, thickness and bending stiffness on codend selectivity. Fisheries Research 76:94-99.
- Blackadder, L, Mesquita C & Dobby, D. 2015. Annex B: Exemption request for Nephrops discard survival in Scottish creel fisheries. Annexes to Joint Recommendation of the Scheveningen Group. Discard Plan for Demersal Fisheries in the North Sea.
- Greathead, C,Gonzalez-Irusta, J M, Clarke, J, Boulcott, P, Blackadder, L, Weetan, A and Wright, P J. 2015. Environmental requirements for three sea pen species: relevance to distribution and conservation. ICES Journal of Marine Science 72 (2): 576-586.
- Allan, L, Demain, D, Weetman, A, Dobby, H and McLay, A. 2012. Data Mining of the Nephrops Survey Database to Support the Scottish MPA Project. Scottish Marine and Freshwater Science Volume 3 No. 9.
- Dobby, H, Millar, S, Blackadder, L, Turriff, J and McLay, A. 2012. Scottish Scallop Stocks - Results of 2011 Assessments. Scottish Marine and Freshwater Science Volume 3 No. 10.
- Boulcott, P, McLay, H A, Allan, L and Clarke, S. 2012. Scallop Abundance in the Lamlash Bay No Take Zone - A Baseline Study. Scottish Marine and Freshwater Science Volume 3 No. 7.