Telephone: +44 (0)131 244 2325
Marine Scotland, Freshwater Fisheries Laboratory, Faskally, Pitlochry, Perthshire, PH16 5LB, Scotland, UK
During my PhD I studied the behavioural and physiological ecology of freshwater fish - focussing primarily on the within- and among- individual variation in salmonid metabolism and how this can be influenced by its external environment and social interactions.
Since then my research interests have become more focussed on understanding the relationships between fish population status, water quality and stream habitat. This includes:
- Effects of morphological and hydrological change on fish populations
- 2D hydraulic modelling
- Statistical hydraulic-habitat modelling
- Transferability of locally derived habitat-abundance models and their potential for predicting the effects of changing flow regime
- Hydrochemistry and stream ecology
- Developing methods to provide information on salmonid habitat use in deep rivers
My primary collaborators include local fisheries trusts, the UK Upland Waters Monitoring Network (http://uwmn.defra.gov.uk/sponsors/sponsors.php) and those centred at the University of Aberdeen.
Most Recent Publications
- Millar CP, Millidine KJ, Middlemas SJ, Malcolm IA. (2015). Development of a model for predicting large scale spatio-temporal variability in juvenile fish abundance from electrofishing data. Scottish Marine and Freshwater Science Report, Vol 6 (6).
- Millidine KJ, Malcolm IA, Fryer RJ. (2016). Assessing the transferability of hydraulic models for juvenile Atlantic salmon. Ecological Indicators, 69, 434-445.
- Millar CP, Fryer RJ, Millidine KJ, Malcolm IA. (2016). Modelling capture probability of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) from a diverse national electrofishing dataset: Implications for the estimation of abundance. Fisheries Research, 177, 1-12.
- Fabris, L, Malcolm IA, Buddendort WB, Millidine KJ, Tetzlaff D, Soulsby C. (2017). Hydraulic modelling of the spatial and temporal variability in Atlantic salmon parr habitat availability in an upland stream. Science of the Total Environment, 601-602, 1046-1059.
- Buddendorf WB, Malcolm IA, Gris J, Fabris L, Millidine KJ, Wilkinson ME, Soulsby C. (2017). Spatio-temporal effects of river regulation on habitat quality for Atlantic salmon fry. Ecological Indicators, 83, 292-302.
- Millidine KJ, Fryer RJ, Malcolm IA. (2018). Understanding the effects of river regulation on Atlantic salmon fry: The importance of channel morphology. River Research and Applications, online.