We need to understand how the seas are exploited if we are to provide advice on the sustainable management of fish and shellfish resources. Research into fish capture methods must be part of this process if we are to optimise exploitation of the fish stocks and minimise waste.
Marine Scotland Science has two main roles in this field:
- To advise policy makers on technical issues relating to commercial fishing operations
- To undertake research into fish capture methods
Links to information on the following topics associated with fish capture are listed below:
- Current Research on fishing gear and fish behaviour research
- Fish Behaviour stresses the importance of fish behaviour and fish reaction to gears in understanding how they are caught
- Fishing Gears details gears used by Scottish fishermen, including regulations and design