This option is now closed and not open under 2014 transitional arrangements.
The aim of this Option
Even-aged plantations are not well-suited to today's multi-purpose objectives. Restructuring felling provides the opportunity to change the even-aged woodland structure and enhance the landscape and woodland environment.
Rates of Support
These are Annually Recurrent Grants, the rates of which are shown on the Sustainable Management of Forests page.
- You must own or lease the land
- If you are a tenant or contractual licensee, you must discuss the proposed application with your landlord to make sure it does not break the conditions of your tenancy or licence, and submit a Landlord Notification Form with your Proposal.
- If you have a tenancy or a licence with less than five years to run you must complete a Landlord Declaration form and ask your Landlord or the landowner to sign the declaration on that form.
- The woodland must be at least 1 hectare in size.
- You must have a felling licence through an approved Forest Plan or a felling licence application. If you don't have one you should apply and we will process the felling licence application at the same time as your application for restructuring felling. You must not carry out any felling until your felling licence is approved.
- You cannot apply for this option if felling has already taken place
- Restructuring to Short Rotation Forestry will only be eligible for restructuring felling payment for the initial transformation of the woodland. Felling woodland planted with short rotation forestry at the end of any subsequent rotations will not be eligible for this payment.
- Areas of windblow are eligible as long as they have not been removed before your proposal for restructuring felling is approved.
Requirement for Forest Plan or Management Plan
After 4th April 2012, you must have an approved Forest Plan for all woodlands greater than 100 hectares, before you can apply for the SMF Restructuring Felling option.
If your woodland is less than 100 hectares, then you can provide an approved, simpler Management Plan instead if that is more appropriate.
Up to 4th April 2012, you need only have begun your Forest Plan preparation. You can apply for SMF Restructuring Felling provided you have a Rural Priorities proposal containing the option WIG - Long Term Forest Planning at 'Proposal Commit' stage.
Details you need to provide with your Proposal
Before your Proposal reaches the "Proposal Commit" stage you must provide:
Claims and Inspections
The grant for restructuring felling is an Annual Recurrent grant and can be paid for 4 years once the felling is completed. You must complete the Single Application Form (SAF) to claim this funding.
Read more about making your claim and the deadline dates
List of links to relevant technical guidance
Further technical guidance for Sustainable Management of Forests
Deer management plan
UK Forestry Standard - www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/fcfc001.pdf/$FILE/fcfc001.pdf
Joint Agency Fencing Guidance -