We are testing a new beta website for gov.scot go to new site

Rural Priorities - Contract

Your Rural Development Contract is a legal document that sets out your approved Regional Priorities, the Options under these Regional Priorities and the payment that you will be entitled to claim.

What is in the Rural Development Contract?

Your contract is made up of the following parts:

1. A covering letter which explains what is required when returning the signed contract.

2. Rural Development Contract Declarations and Undertakings Please read these carefully. They apply to all Rural Development Contracts.

3. Option specific Undertakings Please also read these carefully and also pay particular reference to the Points to Note section. This section will detail any additional Undertakings and requirements to the general Declarations and Undertakings but relate only to particular Regional Priority Options approved for your proposal.

For example, for a livestock building approved under the Restructuring Agricultural Business Option some or all of the following requirements would be included in the Points to Note section:

Consents and supporting documentation which must be supplied at first claim stage:

  • Planning Consent or Prior Notification Evidence from the Local Authority Planning Department;
  • Building Warrant from the Local Authority Building Control Department.

Supporting documentation which must be supplied at final claim stage:

  • Completion Certificate from the Local Authority;
  • Electrical Certificate;
  • Site specific Structural Engineers Design Certificate;
  • Written confirmation from SEPA that the completed works meet their requirements;
  • Receipted invoices for the leverage element of the project;
  • Photograph of the publicity plaque or billboard as required by the contract.

4. A schedule of work that lists either annual recurrent payments or payment details for capital works or both (whichever is applicable to your contract).

5. Signing page - Two copies of the contract will be sent to you. These will both have a signing page. To accept your contract you must sign both signing pages. You must return one signed copy of your contract to your Case Officer and retain the other for your use and records.

6. A map or maps that show the area where the work will take place (where applicable). The map or maps will be signed by the Case Officer.

7. Copies of any consents that are required in order to carry out the work e.g. SNH consent for an activity that falls within a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). If Planning Permission is required for any of the work, you must let your Case Officer have a copy of this as soon as you receive it but no later than the submission of your first claim.

Getting permission to start work

When the Case Officer receives the signed contract they will send you a letter confirming receipt. You may only start work when you get this confirmatory letter.

Ensure you have your consents and permissions

Before we can issue a contract you must ensure that you have all the necessary consents that are needed for any of the work. Some consents may be issued with your contract documents.

We will issue contracts that include work for which planning permission is still required, while you follow through the planning process. You may start work on other Regional Priority Options that have been approved.


We expect you to return the signed contract to your Case Officer within 28 days of the date that the contract was issued. If you do not return the signed contract within 28 days, we will send you a reminder letter. If you do not return the contract within six weeks of issue then we may cancel your contract.

Rejecting the contract

You are under no obligation to accept the contract offer. If you decide not to proceed, please tell us and we will cancel the Contract. The Case Officer will formally acknowledge your rejection.

Verification of Agents' signature

Agents can only sign on behalf of a business if they have authority to do so.

If you are an agent signing a contract on an applicant's business' behalf, the Case Officer will contact the relevant RPID Area Office to request confirmation that you have the authority to sign the contract. Any mandate in place will apply to the office that an agent works from; it does not apply to the agent as an individual. For example, all staff at SAC Ayr operate under one Agent ID.

If you are applying for, or on behalf of, a Limited Company (or other corporate body) you must submit with this form one of the following:

  • A Board minute or letter of authorisation as proof that you have the mandate to sign on behalf of that Company,


  • Printed evidence from Companies House website, to verify that you have the authority to act on behalf of the Limited Company.

Back to contents

Rural Development Contracts flow chart