We are testing a new beta website for gov.scot go to new site

Who Does What

InspectionThe Scottish Government's Plant Health Service in ARE, Agriculture and Rural Economy, Directorate are made up of three parts:

  • Plant Health, Horticulture, Seeds & Potatoes Branch: deals with policy issues, considering what controls should be in place, liaising and negotiating with other UK administrations and international organisations about changes to legislation and agreements.
  • Rural Payments and Inspections Divison (RPID) (Area Offices): carry out inspection, monitoring and surveillance work to ensure compliance with the controls in force.
  • SASA (Science and Advice for Scottish Agriculture): provides diagnostic services to support the work of inspectors and scientific advice to assist the development of plant health legislation and standards, and has the Horticulture and Marketing Unit (HMU) which carries out inspection, monitoring and surveillance work.  Notifications of the appearance, or suspected appearance, of harmful plant pests, please contact HMU.

The role of the forestry commission

The control of pests of forest trees and wood is the responsibility of the Forestry Commission. Information on their activities is available on the Forestry Commission website.

Our involvement with other bodies

Many of the controls in place to prevent the introduction and spread of plant pests are based on EU legislation, which is transposed by the Scottish Government into national legislation. We also work closely with Defra's Food and Environment Research Agency (Fera), the Welsh Assembly Government and the Northern Ireland Government to ensure consistent and robust controls across the UK.

The Plant Health Service Chart demonstrates this.