This is an archived section of the Scottish Government website. External links, forms and search may not work on archived pages and content/contact details are likely to be out of date.




If you wish to make a formal complaint against the police then you should write to the Chief Constable of the Police Service of Scotland. The Chief Constable is entirely responsible for operational matters affecting the Police Service, including investigating complaints.  You can write to Chief Constable Stephen House at:

Police Service of Scotland

PO Box 21184


FK10 9DE


The Chief Constable of the Police Service of Scotland will continue to consider complaints made about the eight former Scottish Police Forces, which became part of the new Police Service of Scotland on 1 April 2013.

The Police Investigations and Review Commissioner (PIRC) replaces the former Police Complaints Commissioner for Scotland (PCCS) from 1 April 2013.  The PIRC has authority to oversee complaints handling procedures in Scottish police forces. The PIRC can look into complaints against the police to decide whether the police handled the matter appropriately. However, the PIRC will only look into a case once the force has provided its response. If, having made your complaint to the police, you are unhappy with the response, you can contact the PIRC. 

A guide for the public on the role of the Police Investigations and Review Commissioner has been produced.

The PIRC can be contacted in the following ways:

Police Investigations and Review Commissioner (PIRC)
Hamilton House
Hamilton Business Park
Caird Park

Tel: 0808 178 5577

Complaints about the Police leaflet

The 'Complaints about the Police' leaflet explains what to do if you wish to make a complaint about a Scottish Police force, and how these are dealt with.