We are testing a new beta website for gov.scot go to new site

Innovation and Research & Development - R&D Business Expenditure

High Level Summary of Statistics Trend Last update: December, 2016

R&D Business Expenditure

Scottish expenditure decreased by 0.8% in real terms compared to 2014 figures. UK expenditure increased by 4.9% in real terms over this period.

BERD expenditure was 0.60% of Scottish GDP in 2015, the comparable figure was 1.11% for the UK.

Within the UK, a high share of BERD expenditure takes place within the South East (22.5%) and the East of England (20.0%) regions, which together are responsible for 42.5% of all R&D expenditure in the UK. In terms of expenditure as a percentage of GDP, Scotland ranked ninth out of the 12 UK regions/countries in 2015.

The graph below shows how Scotland compares against other areas of the UK – in terms of BERD expenditure as a share of GDP.

BERD as a % of GDP, by Government Office Region /Country 2015

View chart data

Source: ONS and Scottish Government

Further Information