Asset Transfer Implementation Steering Group
Members of the Steering Group will, between them, have an understanding of asset transfer from both the community sector and public sector perspectives, and of the requirements of public sector property management.
The purpose of the group is to advise and assist the Scottish Government in developing the regulations and guidance necessary to implement Part 5 of the Act.
The process will be in two phases: a fairly open discussion on what the regulations and guidance should contain, followed by more focused consultation on draft documents.
The group will:
- Advise and assist in the development of draft papers and questions for wider discussion.
- Advise on participatory approaches to achieve widespread and effective discussion and consultation, amongst both community organisations and the public sector.
- Draw on members’ own networks to encourage and facilitate participation in the discussion and consultation, and to disseminate information.
- Support the Scottish Government in analysing the views expressed and revising the documents accordingly.
Anticipated timing is as follows:
- September – December 2015: discussion of proposals, leading to development of draft regulations.
- January – April 2016: consultation on draft regulations, development of guidance.
- April – May 2016: revision of draft regulations.
- June 2016: lay regulations in Parliament (due to the Scottish Parliament elections it may not be possible to complete the Parliamentary process before summer recess).
- April – July 2016: discussion and completion of guidance.
- September 2016: legislation comes into force, final guidance published.
We anticipate dividing the project into the following workstreams:
Asset registers and property information
Procedures for making and responding to asset transfer requests
Procedures for reviews and appeals
Valuation and assessment of benefits
Community bodies – model constitutions etc and designation
Potential inclusion of ALEOs as relevant authorities
Ian Turner Scottish Government Community Empowerment Team
Jean Waddie Scottish Government Community Empowerment Team
Joanne Forbes, South Lanarkshire Council
Association of Chief Estates Surveyors
Alison Fraser, Glasgow City Council
SOLAR (Society of Local Authority Lawyers and Administrators
Linda Gillespie Community Ownership Support Service
Angus Hardie Scottish Community Alliance
Shona Harper Scottish Government Property Division
Jon Hollingdale Community Woodlands Association
Peter Peacock Community Land Scotland
Brian Taylor Scottish Government Finance Division
Malcolm Wield Forestry Commission Scotland
Community Empowerment Team September 2015