The Scottish Government chaired a working group to examine the role of court reporters in cases involving contact and residence with children. Such a reporter is called a "child welfare reporter".
We have published two documents approved by the working group:
Regulation of child welfare reporters
The Scottish Government has published correspondence between the Government and the Lord President and Sheriffs Principal. The letters include discussion of a proposed scheme on the training which should be required to be a child welfare reporter.
The Scottish Government will consider the regulation of child welfare reporters - including the requirements for training, qualifications, and experience - in the forthcoming review of the Children (Scotland) Act 1995.
Working group on child welfare reporters
The Scottish Government has published a circular in October 2015 outlining the work of the group to date. Below you will find further papers relating to the group's work.
- Background paper that includes the group's terms of reference
- Agenda for the first meeting, held on 25 January 2013
- Note of the first meeting
- Agenda for the second meeting, held on 29 October 2013
- Options paper from Scottish Government, presented at meeting on 29 October 2013
- Note of the second meeting
At the meeting on 29 October 2013, the group agreed to set up a sub-group to look at the issues in greater detail.
- Agenda of the meeting of the sub-group on child welfare reporters, held on 20 March 2014
- Paper by the Scottish Government with potential recommendations, presented at the meeting on 20 March 2014
- Note of the meeting held on 20 March 2014
The sub-group on child welfare reporters met again on 2 July 2014.
The sub-group met on 21 October 2014.
- Agenda and the paper issued for the meeting on 21 October 2014.
- Note of the meeting held on 21 October 2014.
The sub-group met on 22 January 2015.
- Agenda issued for the meeting on 22 January 2015.
- Note of the meeting held on 22 January 2015.