The UK Government made a decision on March 6, 2014 to close the Independent Living Fund (ILF) on June 30, 2015.
The Scottish Government made a commitment to protecting users' current awards in Scotland as long as they remained eligible.
On July 1, 2015, Independent Living Fund Scotland (ILF Scotland) began its work and now administers Scottish and Northern Irish Independent Living Fund service users' awards.
If you are in receipt of an Independent Living Fund award your payments will have continued after July 1, 2015.
If you have any queries regarding your award, please contact the Independent Living Fund Scotland team by emailing enquiries@ILF.scot or using the listed contact details under 'Contacts'.
The work required has been happening in two stages:
- The first is to make sure there is a smooth transition of current Independent Living Fund funding to existing Scottish recipients - this stage is now complete
- The second is to focus on opening the fund to new recipients. Work on this stage has commenced with information to follow
Progress so far
Progress so far on the Independent Living Fund Scotland (ILF Scotland) includes:
- All payments to current ILF users in Scotland and Northern Ireland have been made successfully since July 1
- The new Independent Living Fund Scotland team are based at Denholm House, Livingston. Please contact the team by emailing enquiries@ILF.scot or using the listed contact details under 'Contacts'
- The first Chief Executive (CEO) of the new Independent Living Fund Scotland has been appointed. Peter Scott, took up post in June 2015
- Along with the CEO, ILF Scotland have recruited a Head of Operations Manager, Head of Finance, Head of customer Support (part time), Social Work Manager, Communications Manager, Service Delivery Manager, 6 Caseworkers, 16 Assessors (part time) and 2 Business Administrators
- ILF Scotland have been engaging with a variety of stakeholders including current Independent Living Fund recipients, local authorities, families and carers, disabled peoples led organisations (DPOs) and service providers to update them on the transfer of the Independent Living Fund from the UK to Scotland
- Scottish Government sponsor team and ILF Scotland meet on a monthly basis
- Work has begun on developing the Independent Living Fund for new users, with information to follow shortly
- The ILF Scotland Project Board which represents a number of organisations who speak on behalf of disabled people continue to meet on a regular basis