The Quality Strategy is the approach and shared focus for all work to realise the 2020 Vision.
The Quality Strategy aims to deliver the highest quality healthcare to the people of Scotland to ensure that the NHS, Local Authorities and the Third Sector work together, and with patients, carers and the public, towards a shared goal of world-leading healthcare.
A Route Map has been designed to retain our focus on improving quality and to make measureable progress to the 2020 Vision. It describes 12 priority areas for action for pursing our 2020 Vision for high quality sustainable health and social care services in Scotland.
Based on the Institute of Medicine’s six dimensions of Quality and informed by what the people of Scotland told us they want from their healthcare system (Caring, Compassionate, Communication, Collaboration, Clean environment, Continuity of care and Clinical excellence), three Quality Ambitions were developed:
- Safe - There will be no avoidable injury or harm to people from healthcare, and an appropriate, clean and safe environment will be provided for the delivery of healthcare services at all time
- Person-Centred - Mutually beneficial partnerships between patients, their families and those delivering healthcare services which respect individual needs and values and which demonstrates compassion, continuity, clear communication and shared decision-making
- Effective - The most appropriate treatments, interventions, support and services will be provided at the right time to everyone who will benefit, and wasteful or harmful variation will be eradicated
All healthcare policy is being aligned to drive the delivery of these three Quality Ambitions. The Quality Strategy is building on the significant progress made in improving healthcare over the last few years in terms of:
- Reducing waiting times
- Improving access in Primary Care and for Dental treatment
- Healthcare and support for people with long term conditions
- Better outcomes for people with Cancer, Stroke, heart disease and diabetes
To ensure continued momentum and pace in implementing the Strategy, we have:
- Established the Quality Alliance Board and four Quality Ambition Delivery Groups
- Aligned the HEAT Targets, NHS Board Annual Reviews and NHS Board Local Delivery Plans to the aims of the Quality Strategy
- Aligned the activity of the Efficiency and Productivity Framework to drive both quality and value through the Efficiency Portfolio Board
- Set out, through the 2020 Vision, a strategic narrative that describes how sustainable quality will be achieved in Scotland