In 2008, EU member states reached agreement on the 2020 climate and energy package, which committed the EU to a binding 20% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions; a binding target for 20% of energy generation from renewable sources; and a non-binding target for a 20% improvement in energy efficiency – all by 2020. These are known as the 20:20:20 targets.
The 2020 targets will be succeeded by the EU 2030 framework for climate and energy policies, which was adopted by the European Council in October 2014 (legislation to implement the framework will be agreed during 2015 and 2016). The framework seeks to drive continued progress towards a low-carbon economy, build a competitive and secure energy system and creates new opportunities for growth and jobs. It includes the following targets:
- an emissions reduction target of at least 40% on 1990 levels by 2030, binding on Member States;
- reform and strengthening of the EU Emissions Trading System (ETS) with a cap declining by 2.2% annually from 2021 onwards (an increase on the 1.74% up to 2020);
- a renewable energy target of at least 27% by 2030, binding at EU level;
- a non-binding energy efficiency target of 27% by 2030 (to be reviewed in 2020 with a view to an increase to 30%);
- a 15% target for energy interconnections between member states by 2030 (binding only at EU level), and;
- a reliable and transparent governance system will be developed to help ensure that the EU meets its energy policy goals.
The Scottish Government will work directly with the UK government during 2015 and 2016 to influence the eventual agreed EU legislation which will implement the framework. We want to ensure that the framework delivers maximum emissions reduction potential at the most affordable cost to business and industry, whilst maintaining industrial competitiveness – particularly for those sectors most exposed to international markets.
Scottish Government action on European Energy policy and Climate Change policy
EU 2020 framework for climate and energy
EU 2030 framework for climate and energy
EU Greenhouse Gas Effort Sharing Decision 2009
EU Emissions Trading System Directive 2009
EU Renewable Energy Directive 2009
EU Energy Efficiency Directive 2012
EU Carbon Dioxide Storage Directive 2009