We are testing a new beta website for gov.scot go to new site

Course Costs

Tuition Fees and Financial Support

For the 2013/2014 academic year the standard tuition fee for EU students under the age of 30 is  € 1.835, for full-time students. University College Maastricht charges an additional fee of € 1.200.  The tuition fees for non-EU students are set annually and are substantially higher. These fees are increased by law each year  to correct for inflation. Note that tuition fees can be paid in monthly instalments if you have a Dutch bank account

The cost of study materials, including books, photocopies and other materials, varies depending on the programme of your choice. These can run anywhere from €100 to €600 per year.

The Dutch government supports students through a program of grants and loans, administered by the “Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs” (Student Loan Company). EU students can apply for a loan to pay their tuition fees. These loans offer low interest rates and relaxed payback schedules. Furthermore, students who work in a part-time job for a certain number of hours (currently 56 hours per month) are eligible for a monthly maintenance grant, on the same terms as Dutch students.  The rules and regulations for these arrangements are somewhat complicated. You can find the most up-to-date information on the international section of the website of the Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs

NOTE: The Dutch government is currently preparing to make changes in the Dutch study financing model. These changes are likely to affect the terms under which loans and grants are available. Please check Maastricht University’s website for prospective students for updates.


Dutch law requires that everyone living in the country have health insurance. However, foreign students under the age of 30 who are in the Netherlands solely for study purposes do not have to purchase insurance in the Netherlands. Rather, they can be covered by insurance in their home country. UK students should apply for a European Health Insurance Card from the NHS or their private insurance company, which demonstrates that they are covered. However, from the moment you start a part-time job, you will have to take out a Dutch basic healthcare insurance policy because you are then no longer just a student, but also an employee. This applies even if you start a job for just one hour a week. You might want to take this into consideration before starting a job, because the basic health care insurance might be much more expensive than the UK healthcare insurance you have. Students are free to buy coverage from any Dutch provider, and premium subsidies are available to those with low incomes. Furthermore, it is prudent to take out liability insurance, so that you are covered if you cause an accident or damage someone’s property.

NOTE: To apply for student support from the Dutch Government will require a Citizen Support Number.  Information can be found at the following website: http://studentify.nl/municipality-registration-and-id/

For information on SAAS maintenance funding please see the SAAS website.