We are testing a new beta website for gov.scot go to new site

content on beta

This content is not being updated. Get up-to-date information on what the Scottish Government is doing to support the water industry from https://beta.gov.scot.

Water and Sewerage Charges Exemption Scheme

The Scottish Government has a scheme which helps charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs) with the cost of their water and waste water bills.  The scheme is administered by the water industry on behalf of the Scottish Government.

Support is available to charities registered with the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR) and Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs) with an income below £300,000.  There are a few exceptions.  Charities and CASCs will not be eligible for support where one or more of the following conditions are met;

  • The charity holds a permanent alcohol licence to sell alcohol at the premises.

  • The premises is a charity shop or other premises used for the purposes of retailing new or second hand merchandise.

  • The premises operates as a café which is open to the public and operated on a regular basis to generate income.  This excludes canteens that have been provided by the charity to support its own volunteers.

  • The organisation is a Local Authority or an Arms-Length External Organisation (ALEO) which organisations that can be used by councils to deliver services.


Successful organisations will receive support from 1 April of the relevant financial year, as long as the application is received by Scottish Water by 31 March in that financial year and it meets the scheme requirements.

Application forms should be sought from your Licensed Provider.  If you do not have a licensed provider, you will need to select one.  Further information can be found on www.scotlandontap.gov.uk

Ministerial policy is set out in letters to the Environment, Climate Change and Land Reform Committee.  The letters can be found here:  http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/parliamentarybusiness/30499.aspx

For Frequently Asked Questions, click here.