We are testing a new beta website for gov.scot go to new site

Energy Consents - How do I Support/Object?

When a new application is submitted the developer is required to advertise it on an application website, and with a public notice in the Edinburgh Gazette and in one or more local newspapers. The advert should state:

  • that the application has been made, a description of the development, together with a description of the land to which it relates
  • that the proposed development is subject to Environmental Impact Assessment
  • where and when, and by what means, a copy of the application and associated EIA report can be inspected by members of the public, and the cost of obtaining a copy of the EIA report
  • the date by which representations should be made as well as the address where these should be sent, and details of the arrangements by which any additional information will be publicised and consulted upon

Any representations regarding an application should be made to the Scottish Government at the following addresses:

Where applications are:

  • for land based electricity generating stations in excess of 50 megawatts installed capacity
  • for overhead power lines and associated infrastructure, as well as large gas and oil pipelines

Online via the website at http://www.energyconsents.scot. For more information on how to submit a representation online, please go to the Help page.

Alternatively, via email to representations@gov.scot.


By writing to:

Energy Consents Unit
Scottish Government
5 Atlantic Quay
150 Broomielaw
G2 8LU


Where applications are:

  • in excess of 1 megawatt (MW) for offshore wind farms and wave or tidal electricity generating devices



+44 (0)1224 295579


Marine Scotland
Licensing Operations Team
375 Victoria Road
AB11 9DB

Any applications below these thresholds are made to the local planning authority who should be contacted regarding any enquiries on how to make a representation.

In your representation to the Scottish Government, you should identify the proposal and specify the grounds for representation. Representations should be dated and should clearly state the name (in block capitals) and full return email or postal address of those making the representation.

Please note

  • If additional environmental information regarding an application is received from the applicant, all previous representations received in relation to this development remain valid.
  • We are unable to hold representations in advance of an application being submitted, however you should contact us again if, and when, an application is made.

How we use your information

The Scottish Government processes applications under The Electricity Act 1989. During the consultation process letters of representation can be sent to Scottish Ministers in support of or objecting to these applications.

Should Ministers call a Public Local Inquiry (PLI), copies of these representations will be sent to the Reporter to consider during the inquiry. These representations will be posted on their website with personal email address, signature and home telephone number redacted (blacked out).

Copies of representations will also be issued to the developer on request, again with email address, signature and home telephone number redacted.

You can choose to mark your representation as confidential, in which case it will only be considered by Scottish Ministers and will not be shared with the Planning Authority, the developer, the Reporter (should a PLI be called) or any other third party.

If you have any queries or concerns about how your personal data will be handled, please email Econsents_Admin@gov.scot or write to Energy Consents Unit, Scottish Government, 5 Atlantic Quay, 150 Broomielaw, Glasgow, G2 8LU.