Planning can play an important role in improving connectivity and promoting more sustainable patterns of transport and travel as part of the transition to a low carbon economy.
The planning system should support patterns of development which:
- optimise the use of existing infrastructure;
- reduce the need to travel;
- provide safe and convenient opportunities for walking and cycling for both active travel and recreation, and facilitate travel by public transport;
- enable the integration of transport modes; and
- acilitate freight movement by rail or water.
Further details on national planning policy in relation to transport and travel is set out in the Scottish Planning Policy