We are testing a new beta website for gov.scot go to new site

Content notice

Content notice

The content on these pages is not being updated. Up-to-date information can be found at http://beta.gov.scot/. The new site is a work in progress and we need your feedback.


How to Find Help

The basic  responsibility for carrying out the work needed on private homes rests with the owners, but all local authorities have broad powers to address housing disrepair and assist owners under the Housing (Scotland) Act 2006, although the use of these powers is discretionary and will be subject to local priorities and budgets.

A number of other organisation can provide owners with assistance such as:

Is there any extra help for older and disabled home owners?

Care and Repair services help older and disabled owner-occupiers, tenants of private landlords and crofters to repair, improve and adapt their homes. They do this by helping people to decide what work is required, choose reliable tradesmen, obtain finance and oversee the work. Small repairs services may also be available.

More information about Care and Repair, including details of Care and Repair projects in your area, is available from the website of the Care and Repair Forum Scotland.

Where can I get help and advice about historic and listed buildings?

Historic Scotland can provide information on repairs to, and maintenance of, historic and listed buildings.  Publications and advice on materials, conservation issues etc. are available from Historic Scotland’s Conservation Knowledge Base

If you own a building which is considered to be of outstanding historic or architectural interest or is located in an outstanding conservation area you may be able to apply for a repair grant from Historic Scotland.

If the building is listed you should contact the local planning authority to check whether listed building consent is required before work can be carried out.