We are testing a new beta website for gov.scot go to new site

Content notice

Content notice

The content on these pages is not being updated. Up-to-date information can be found at http://beta.gov.scot/. The new site is a work in progress and we need your feedback.


Independent Living

The Scottish Government is committed to enabling disabled people and older people to live independently in their own homes where possible. It is working to ensure that we have the right housing and support in place for Scotland's older people. This includes the ability to adapt houses to make them suitable for those with reduced mobility and other needs -and the availability of other preventative support services.

Housing support services help people to maintain a tenancy and live independently in the community. They are mainly provided by local authorities, housing associations and voluntary sector organisations, but the Scottish Government is responsible for overall policy. The House Key includes a directory of organisations that provide housing support services.

Advice for disabled people and older people

A number of organisations provide free and independent information and advice to those looking for housing and support services.

Housing Voluntary Sector Grant Scheme

The Housing Voluntary Sector Grant scheme supports national organisations in the housing and homelessness fields to develop voluntary projects that benefit the people of Scotland.