This planning guidance offers a framework to support local authorities in developing their plans for the expansion of Early Learning and Childcare to 1140 hours by 2020.
Completed expansion plans are to be submitted to the Scottish Government by 29 September 2017.
This planning guidance is intended to:
• Provide simple planning advice of specific relevance to ELC sector development;
• Support development of local authority ELC expansion plans and costings – as well as informing the national ELC Expansion Programme;
• Respect the unique context of each local authority area, recognising the value of local knowledge and understanding;
• Be outcome focused – recognising that there are a range of ways to achieve the core aims of providing ELC within the parameters of quality, accessibility, flexibility and affordability;
• Underpin the delivery support that will be made available to assist local authorities with service re-design and sharing of good practice; and
• Help local authorities to gauge the extent of the change challenge and to fully resource the programme and project management capacity needed to support their local programme, whilst continuing to deliver services focused on the quality of experience for children and families.