We are testing a new beta website for gov.scot go to new site

wrapper

Review of Civil Partnership in Scotland - Analysis of Consultation Responses

Review of Civil Partnership in Scotland - Analysis of Consultation Responses

Friday, August 5, 2016

ISBN: 9781786522863

Presents an analysis of the analysis of the responses received to the Scottish Government’s Review of Civil Partnership consultation, which ran from 22 September to 15 December 2015.

Executive Summary

This report presents an analysis of the consultation responses received to ‘Review of Civil Partnership - A consultation by the Scottish Government’ http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2015/09/4223.

The Scottish Government made a commitment to carry out a review of civil partnership during the Parliamentary passage of the Marriage and Civil Partnership (Scotland) Act 2014. This consultation forms part of that review.

The consultation paper outlined three possible options going forward. These were:

• No change, so that civil partnerships would remain available for same sex couples only.

• No more new civil partnerships to be entered into in Scotland from a date in the future. People already in a civil partnership could stay in them, if they wish.

• The introduction of opposite sex civil partnership.

The consultation ran from 22 September 2015 to 15 December 2015, with a total of 411 responses received. The very significant majority of responses (93%) were submitted by individual members of the public. The remaining 7% of responses were submitted by groups or organisations.