We are testing a new beta website for gov.scot go to new site

wrapper

Education Maintenance Allowances 2014-15

Education Maintenance Allowances 2014-15

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

ISBN: 9781786521866

EMAs provide financial support for 16 to 19 year olds from low-income households to overcome financial barriers to participation in appropriate school or college courses or an Activity Agreement. This release contains information on pupils and students in Scotland who received at least one payment under the EMA programme.

Key Findings

Scotland’s Chief Statistician today published revised statistics on Education Maintenance Allowances (EMAs) in the academic year 2014-15. An error was identified in the original statistics, released on Wednesday 23 March 2016.

The number of EMA recipients at college in 2014-15 was approximately 800 higher than originally reported. The number in 2013-14 was approximately 500 higher than originally reported. The college EMA figures and total EMA figures for 2013-14 and 2014-15 throughout the publication have been revised.

Key findings include:

  • 33,180 school pupils and college students received EMA payments in Scotland in the academic year 2014-15, a decrease of 6% (2,290) from 35,470 in 2013-14.

  • School pupils account for 68% of young people in receipt of EMA payment, with the remaining 32% being college students.

  • Of all 16-19 year old school pupils in Scotland, 31% (22,530) received EMA payments in 2014-15. Of all full time 16-19 year old college students, 22% (10,650) received at least one EMA payment in 2014-15.

  • The proportion of EMA recipients living in Scotland’s 20% most deprived areas in 2014-15 was the highest on record at 35% (11,635), although the actual number of recipients decreased by 540 from 12,175 in 2013-14. Among school pupils receiving EMAs, 33% were living in the 20% most deprived areas, while among college students receiving EMAs, 38% were living in the 20% most deprived areas.

  • The total amount spent on EMA payments in 2014-15 was £26.5 million, a decrease of £2.1 million from £28.6 million in 2013-14. Of this, £18.6 million (70%) was paid out to school pupils, and the remaining £7.9 million (30%) was paid out to young people attending college.