The Housing (Scotland) Act 2014 introduces a framework for the regulation of letting agents in Scotland. This includes:
- a mandatory register of letting agents with an associated ‘fit and proper’ person test
- a training requirement that must be met to be admitted to the register
- a statutory code of practice all letting agents must follow
- a way for tenants and landlords to resolve complaints against letting agents for breaches of the statutory Code of Practice through a new specialist First-tier Tribunal
- powers for Scottish Ministers to obtain information and to inspect to monitor compliance and enforce regulatory requirements
Once implemented, these will help increase the overall standards of service and professionalism within the letting industry and provide customers with an effective way to resolve complaints.
Part 1 of this consultation seeks views on a draft Letting Agent Code of Practice and, Part 2, on our proposals for the training requirement that applicants must have met to be accepted onto the Letting Agents Register.