Scotland’s Digital Future: Delivery of Public Services set out an objective of developing a National strategy for the public sector’s data storage focusing on consolidation and re-use.
This reflected a recommendation in the Review of ICT Infrastructure in the Public Sector in Scotland report by John McClelland which suggested that significant efficiency and energy savings could be achieved through consolidation.
In reaching its conclusions evidence was gathered from a number of sources including:
• a survey circulated throughout the public sector
• Digital Public Services road show workshops
• an advisory group convened for the review
• meetings with a number of organisations from both the public & private sector
• discussions with other countries Governments
• visits to a number of data centres