We are testing a new beta website for gov.scot go to new site

What to do after a death in Scotland ... practical advice for times of bereavement: 11th Edition



If you are living in a home which the dead person owned or rented:

  • Do not move out of the home without getting legal advice about your rights.
  • Do not let (rent out) the whole or part of the home or take in a lodger without getting legal advice on whether the agreement with the building society, Council or landlord allows this.
  • Contact the building society, the landlord or Council to arrange how the mortgage or rent should be paid in future.
  • Find out if there is any insurance policy covering the mortgage and if so inform the insurance company of the death.