ANNEX 1 - Topic Guide for Interviews
1. Is your organisation involved in the issue / topic of health literacy?
If Yes to Q1 Can you tell me in what ways your organisation is involved ? [Go to Q2]
If No to Q1 Does your organisation have any plans to become involved in the issue of health literacy?
If Yes Ask respondent to describe plans and Go to Q2
If No Can you tell me the reasons for that? (Ask whether the organisation is involved in issues relating to general literacy and tease out whether any of these relate to health literacy.)
2. What is your understanding of the term 'health literacy' ? What is your understanding based on ?
3. What is your understanding of the scale of the problem of inadequate health literacy? How important do you think it is to have a clear idea of the scale of the problem?
4. What do you see as the main links between health literacy and government (health) policy? What do you see as the main links between health literacy and the policy position of your organisation?
5. What do you see as the main problems / issues relating to health literacy in Scotland?
6. Is your organisation / the community within which you are a stakeholder involved in any specific initiatives / policies / programs to improve health literacy?
If Yes to Q6 Can you tell me about this / these? What have been the objectives of these initiatives / policies / programs? What outcomes have been specified for the initiatives / policies programs ? Have these outcomes been measured? Over what timeframe? What has been learned / concluded?
If No to Q6 Are any initiatives / policies / programs under development or being planned? What are these? What objectives will be set for these initiatives / policies / programs? What outcomes will be specified? How will the outcomes be measured?
7. What kinds of policies, programmes, initiatives or efforts to increase health literacy would you like to see developed in Scotland? Why do you say that ?
8. Any Other Issues?