The main pieces of legislation mentioned in this guidance, including the Act and its Explanatory Notes, can be downloaded free from www.hmso.gov.uk. Hard copies of legislation can be purchased from The Stationery Office Bookshop, 71 Lothian Road, Edinburgh, EH3 9AZ, tel: 0870 606 55 66, Website: www.tsoshop.co.uk.
For more information on practical ways to involve parents, see
For more information on research into parental involvement, see
- Parents' views on improving parental involvement in children's education, George Street Research © Crown Copyright, 2005 www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2005/03/20759/53608
- The Impact of Parental Involvement on Children's Education, Department of Education and Skills, 2003. Available from DfES Publications, PO Box 5050, Sherwood Park, Annesley, Nottingham, NG15 0DJ, Tel: 0845 6022260.
- Engaging fathers: involving parents, raising achievement, Department of Education and Skills, 2004. Available from DfES Publications, PO Box 5050, Sherwood Park, Annesley, Nottingham, NG15 0DJ, Tel: 0845 6022260.
- Career Goals and Educational Attainment: What is the link? A study of school pupils' perceptions, Careers Scotland research report, http://www.careers-scotland.org.uk/careersscotland/Web/Site/LearningandGuidance/Research/ResearchIntro.asp
For additional policies schools and authorities may wish to consider see
For further information on supporting looked after children's learning see
- Learning with Care © Crown Copyright. May 2003 ISBN 1900743477 Published by University of Strathclyde, Faculty of Education, 76 Southbrae Drive, Glasgow G13 1PP.
For more about how schools and authorities evaluate how they are doing, see
- How Good is Our School? - self evaluation tool available from HMIE website www.hmie.gov.uk, HM Inspectorate of Education, Denholm House, Almondvale Business Park, Almondvale Way, Livingston, EH54 6GA, Tel: 01506 600 200, Fax: 01506 600 337, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Good is Our Partnership with Parents? - self evaluation tool available from HMIE website www.hmie.gov.uk and the address above.
For further information on separated parents see
For information on engaging with the wider community see
The following websites are sources of advice on a range of aspects relating to parental involvement in children's education and learning.
Parentzone - information on education in Scotland and advice for parents on supporting their child's learning - www.parentzonescotland.gov.uk
Scottish Parent Teacher Council ( SPTC) - the national organisation for PTAs and PAs - www.sptc.info
Scottish School Board Association ( SSBA) - represents the interests of School Boards - www.schoolboard-scotland.com
Careers Scotland - services, information and support on career planning - www.careers-scotland.org.uk
Children in Scotland - for voluntary, statutory and professional organisations and individuals working with children and their families - www.childreninscotland.org.uk
Enquire - the Scottish advice service for additional support for learning - www.enquire.org.uk, helpline: 0845 123 2303; textphone: 0131 222 2439.
Fathers Direct - advice on role of fathers in education - www.fathersdirect.com
HM Inspectorate of Education ( HMIE) - school inspection reports, good practice and other publications - www.hmie.gov.uk
HM Revenue and Customs ( HMRC) - advice on tax issues - www.hmrc.gov.uk