Road Accidents Scotland 2002
A Scottish Executive National Statistics Publication
Transport Statistics home page
Spreadsheet versions of the tables in this edition
This document is also available in pdf format (1.8MB)
List of tables in the Statistical Tables section
1. Trends in the numbers of Road Accidents and Casualties
3. Motorists, breath testing and drink-driving
5. Comparisons of Scottish figures against those of other countries
The casualty reduction targets for 2010
Drivers and riders
Drivers breath tested
Drink-drive accidents and casualties
Annex A Calendar of events affecting road traffic
Annex B The collection of road accident statistics, and examples of forms that could be used to collect the data
Annex C Consultation with users and providers of road accident statistics, and reviews of the "Stats 19" specification and the statistical publications
Annex D Definitions used in road accident statistics
Annex E Local Government reorganisation and the Trunk Road Network
Annex F Frequency of use of values of most STATS 19 variables
Statistics provided in more detail in previous editions
Errors in previous edition
Reports of the results of the Road Safety research projects which were commissioned by the Scottish Executive
Scottish Executive Transport Statistics publications
Information available from the Transport Statistics page on the Scottish Executive Web site
Scottish Executive Statistical Services
Correspondence and enquiries
Brief extracts from this publication may be reproduced provided Road Accidents Scotland is fully acknowledged as the source. Proposals for larger extracts should be addressed to the enquiries address below.
Symbols used: the following are used throughout:
- or 0
nil or less than half the final digit shown
Rounding: in some tables, where figures have been rounded independently, the sum of constituent items may not appear to agree exactly with the total shown.
Enquiries of a routine nature, or on the availability of the next edition of the publication, can be made to the Transport Statistics branch, by contacting:
Mr Scott Brand or Mr Andrew Knight
Transport Statistics branch
Scottish Executive Development Department
Area 2C-13 Victoria Quay
Telephone: 0131-244 7255 or 7256
Fax: 0131-244 0888
Major enquiries or suggestions for improvement to the publication should be addressed to: Mr Frank Dixon, Transport Statistician, at the address above.
Readers may request further analyses of the road accident statistics held in the Scottish Executive Transport Statistics branch database, but three points should be noted:
1. The Transport Statistics branch does not answer requests for local information: these should be addressed to the appropriate Police Force(s) or Council(s).
2. The amount of information that can be provided in response to requests may be limited, depending upon the resources that are available to carry out the work, and on any restrictions that may be necessary to maintain the confidentiality of the data.
3. A charge may be made, depending upon the amount of staff time required to answer a request.