Scotland's Transport: Delivering Improvements: Transport Indicators for Scotland
10. ROAD ACCIDENT CASUALTIES
Safety underpins all modes of transport, both public and private, and is a key priority of the Scottish Executive. We will monitor road safety on all of Scotland's roads through the total number of road accident casualties and the number of child casualties.
There is a very encouraging downward trend in the number of road accident casualties in Scotland. This is due to a range of factors including:
- the development of safer vehicles;
- safety improvements to the road infrastructure, including traffic-calming schemes;
- publicity campaigns on speeding, drink-driving and seat belt wearing;
- provision of road safety resources for use in schools; and
- the funding of free membership of the Children's Traffic Club in Scotland.
The annual averages for the period 1994-98 are 4838 for all casualties and 842 for children.