We are testing a new beta website for gov.scot go to new site

Fire Statistics Scotland, 2000

Listen

FIRE STATISTICS SCOTLAND, 2000

21 Fires in dwellings and other buildings by cause, Scotland, 1990-2000 (Table 10) (Chart10)

21.1 Table 10 shows that 2,088 fires or 22 per cent of the 9,309 total Scottish dwellings fires in 2000 were malicious. The remaining accidental dwellings fires (78 per cent of total Scottish dwellings fires) were mainly spread across various causes such as misuse of equipment or appliances (2,875 fires - 31 per cent), chip or fat pan fires (1,772 fires - 19 per cent), careless handling of fire or hot substances (631 fires - 7 per cent), faulty appliances and leads (607 fires - 7 per cent), articles and heat too close (540 fires - 6 per cent), other causes (430 fires - 5 per cent).

21.2 Malicious fires in dwellings increased by 7 per cent since 1999. During the last 10 years, malicious fires in dwellings have increased by 10 per cent from 1,894 fires recorded in 1990 to 2,088 fires recorded in 2000, and their share of total dwellings fires has increased from 19 per cent in 1990 to 22 per cent in 2000.

21.3 Other noticeable changes between 1990 and 2000, in the causes of dwellings fires include, a 79 per cent fall (since 1990) in the number of dwellings fires caused by playing with fire, a fall of 39 per cent in the number of dwellings fires attributable to misuse of equipment, a 39 per cent rise in the number of such fires caused by articles and heat too close, a 35 per cent fall in the number of dwellings fires caused by careless handling of fire or hot substances, a fall of 28 per cent in the number of dwellings fires caused by faulty appliances and leads and a 28 per cent fall in the number of dwellings fires attributable to "unspecified" causes. Together these changes contributed to a 5 per cent fall in total dwelling fires over the last 10 years.

chart