We are testing a new beta website for gov.scot go to new site

Beta link

Content notice

The content on these pages is not being updated. Up-to-date information can be found at http://beta.gov.scot/. The new site is a work in progress and we need your feedback.

Information about cabinet secretaries and ministers can now be found at https://beta.gov.scot/about/who-runs-government/

Cabinet Secretary for Communities, Social Security and Equalities

Cabinet Secretary for Communities, Social Security and Equalities

Angela Constance MSP
Angela Constance MSPBiography

Angela Constance was born, raised and educated in West Lothian.  Prior to 2007, she worked as a social worker and mental health officer and was a local councillor in Livingston.

She has been a Member of the Scottish Parliament since May 2007, first for the Livingston constituency and now for the Almond Valley constituency.

She has served as Minister for Youth Employment and Cabinet Secretary for Training Youth and Women's Employment.  She was appointed as Cabinet Secretary for Education and Lifelong Learning in November 2014.  In May 2016, she was appointed Cabinet Secretary for Communities, Social Security and Equalities.



Welfare policy, community empowerment, devolution to communities and reform of local government, equalities, religious and faith organisations, protection and development of social and human rights, third sector and social economy, democratic renewal, local government, housing, homelessness, community planning, planning, business improvement districts, town centres, building standards, social security, implementation of new powers, measures against poverty, disabilities, older people, tackling inequalities, social justice, regeneration.



Contact a Minister

If you wish to contact a minister please do so in writing or by email.

Postal address

Please address to the relevant Minister or portfolio
St. Andrew's House, Regent Road, Edinburgh, EH1 3DG


Ministers' Mailbox (scottish.ministers@gov.scot)
Your message will be forwarded to the relevant Cabinet Secretary or Minister